Monday, June 15, 2009

So last weekend I followed Larry to the dentist. My mom recommended this dentist in town, and we made an appointment and went there on Saturday morning.
When we saw the place, he was a bit apprehensive, as it looked like it was stuck in the 70'. We saw pictures on the wall of this guy in his late 40's, and I assumed that he was the dentist, Dr. Lee. A lady greeted us and asked Larry to get on the electric chair, so I thought I was wrong, she must be the dentist. She started doing checks on Larry's teeth, saying that one of his teeth must be extracted. That was expected, as he had been having toothache caused by that particular tooth.
Then this old man came from the other room, this old, withered, shaky guy who I realized was the Dr. Lee in the pictures. The pictures on the wall must have been taken like 20 years ago! This guy had white, wispy hair and was slightly bent over. His hands were a bit shaky as he prepared the injection to numb Larry's gums. If he wasn't worried, I was.
After injecting Larry's gums, we had to wait a while for it to take effect. We chit chatted a bit, whilst Dr. Lee sat down and started reading the papers in the other room. After a while, he came back in and started prodding poor Larry's mouth again with steel pliers and whatnot. I heard some clinking sounds of metal against tooth, and I thought that he was performing some routine checks.
I was wrong. Several seconds later, he took something out of Larry's mouth - the rotten tooth. It was wham, bam, thank you m'am, I see, I check, I extract. Really fast.
My misgivings were uncalled for, as this old guy clearly still had it in him. It takes strength to pull a tooth out, especially a molar-thingy. Despite his shaky fingers, when he holds those pliers, he's steady as stone. Best thing was, we were there for no more than half an hour. So for those who are scared shitless of dentists (like me and basically everyone else), if you want a fast and relatively painless job without all the dawdling and toothbrush recommendations, go see Dr. Lee. Don't be put off by his age, he's example primo uno that experience kicks youth's ass.

4 comments:

Julia's White Pepper said...

i dunno about experience. i bet dr. lee is also very experienced in bed, but then you must be blindfolded before anything can happen. plus the old ppl smell (which i am starting to have)

Unknown said...

err...

joyce lee said...

where is this dentist?

Unknown said...

it's at hutton lane. gigi sakit?