Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My phobia of millipedes have worsened so much that now I have to resort to parking at the multi-storey car park at work because the outdoor parking area at my building is simple INFESTED with them.

I always thought that as I grew older, these phobias would lessen. Just like my phobia of the dark and my phobia of ghosts. Now, I only get seriously creeped out if I read a Stephen King book or watch a mildly scary movie (I don't even bother watching those really scary ones, I just end up reading the subtitles). I used to be unable to sleep on my own or stay alone at home. At least, now I can. Most of the time anyway.

But millipedes. This phobia has grown absurdly worse. I blame it on my sister, who infected me with this phobia as a kid. She was the one who was afraid of them first, then she made me afraid of them too, somehow. It's her fault anyway because she's older.

I used to be able to go running about on a grassy field, blissfully unafraid. Now I avoid grass (which probably hide a few thousand millipedes) like the plague.

I recognise the scent they emit if you disturb them, and if I ever smell it around me, my hair will rise and I will start to mildly hyperventilate. When I used to park at the outdoor car park, every morning without fail my palms would get sweaty and my heart would race to 200 beats a minute. I'd have to close my mouth so that my heart wouldn't jump out.

So I predict that by the time I turn 50, I would never leave my room on the 101st floor, and if I ever do need to go out, I'd be walking on specially made stilts. Either that, or I'd have migrated to the North Pole.

And oh, my ultimate worst nightmare: millipedes with wings. God. If they ever evolve wings, just kill me.

1 comment:

White Pepper said...

they attracted to fear.